Forum - MCS Electronics

 

FAQFAQ SearchSearch RegisterRegister Log inLog in

Function Instr, faulty response since version 2.0.8.2

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.mcselec.com Forum Index -> BASCOM-AVR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zitronenfalter

Bascom Member



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 9

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Function Instr, faulty response since version 2.0.8.2 Reply with quote

Hello

The Function Instr in Version 2.0.8.2 shows an incorrect result if the search string is embedded within {} (e.g. "{034}" for the quotation mark).
Code:
$regfile = "m48def.dat"                                    
$crystal = 4000000                                        
$baud = 19200                                              
$hwstack = 32                                              
$swstack = 10                                              
$framesize = 40                                            

Dim String1 As String * 20
Dim String2 As String * 1
Dim Found As Byte

String1 = "abcdefghijklmno"
String2 = "g"

Found = Instr(1 , String1 , String2)
' Result:
' Found (2081) = 7
' Found (2082) = 7

Found = Instr(1 , String1 , "g")
' Result:
' Found (2081) = 7
' Found (2082) = 7

Found = Instr(1 , String1 , "{103}") ' Chr(103 = "g"
' Result:
' Found (2081) = 7
' Found (2082) = 0

 


(BASCOM-AVR version : 2.0.8.2 )
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
albertsm

Administrator



Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 5078
Location: Holland

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tested and confirm it is a bug. will have a look at it.
_________________
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Zitronenfalter

Bascom Member



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 9

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed today that the function INSTR returns zero for a search string consisting of Chr(13)+Chr(10) although this string is in the string to be searched.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
albertsm

Administrator



Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 5078
Location: Holland

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please post a small example so it can be checked.
_________________
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Zitronenfalter

Bascom Member



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 9

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, now I wanted to write a small program but apparently this part of the function works.
But in my "big" program it does not work.
Somehow a local variable containing the search string is changed.
If the search string is global, the function works as it should. But that should not be your problem now.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
JC

Bascom Member



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 490
Location: Cleveland, OH

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN addition to your normal debugging, make sure your Stacks and Framesize are adequate.

JC
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Zitronenfalter

Bascom Member



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 9

austria.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also thinking of the stack in this context.
But even the increase from 300 to 350 and even more bytes did not bring success. The one new local variable with its two bytes would have to be IMHO with the additional 50 bytes.
For some reason I can't see, this one string variable is empty even though it was previously assigned to Chr(13)+Chr(10).

The used controller (ATmega1284p) should have enough RAM.
If you can rely on the report only approximately, my application currently needs about 7kByte RAM.

I have had problems with such big controllers where the compiler was "swallowed up" by the size.
It even happened sometimes that a program part at one position in the program listing did not work (or better said differently) and moving the program part then delivered the expected flow of the program. I would like to explain this with the fact that there might be a problem with "page-spanning" (IMHO 64kByte) program parts which then only become effective under certain circumstances.
As far as I remember, there was also a problem with a somewhat longer "DO-WHILE-listing". The exit did not work then. But it did after simply moving the program part within the listing.

But as long as I can "circumvent" it, it doesn't bother me.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Zitronenfalter

Bascom Member



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 9

austria.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could solve the problem now.
The reason was the order of declaration of the two local variables and in consequence the assignment of a byte variable with the return value of a function as dWord.

To my excuse I only want to add that I had improved an older program and through the new BasCom version just stumbled over the error described in the incoming mail and wanted to apply the workaround in form of a string variable.
The error described in the incoming mail still exists, of course.
Here the error was clearly sitting in front of the screen.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.mcselec.com Forum Index -> BASCOM-AVR All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum